1,128 total views, 6 views today
Arthritis of the knee is a condition in which patients experience pain in taking a step along with swelling and stiffness. The knee joint is known as a hinge joint, which consists of three bones. Here two bones meet, and each bone has a protective covering of cartilage. These cartilages help the bones in the knee from rubbing together. If this condition happens, it can be very painful.
Some common knee arthritis
There are about a hundred types of arthritis, and some of them are common in the knee. We have listed them for you:
- Osteoarthritis – It is the most common type of knee arthritis which occurs when the protective layer that covers the bone wears away.
- Post-traumatic arthritis – it is the old injuries to the knee and surrounding joints, and it develops after an injury. This injury leads to extra wear to the knee joint.
- Gouty arthritis – it is the type of arthritis which occurs due to the collection of
uric acid crystals in the joints. These crystals trigger pain, swelling, and inflammation in joints.
- Rheumatoid arthritis – It is the condition when the body’s immune system attacks healthy cells and tricks the body to think that healthy tissues like protective
cartilage are harmful. Thus the immune system destroys it and which leads to joint damage.
Symptoms of knee arthritis
- Clicking or popping of the knee joint when moved
- Pain same as weather-related
- Weakness in joint
Redness and warmth in the knee joint are mostly because of gouty arthritis. Knee arthritis generally worsens with time, and large stage symptoms include stiffness and visible joint deformities.
Knee surgery or total knee replacement
There are many types of treatments recommended to treat knee arthritis, and out of them, all one is a knee replacement. The surgery is recommended to people with knee arthritis but depends on some factors such as
- Patient’s age
- General health
- Personal preferences
Patients experience moderate or severe knee arthritis and who are exhausted with all other alternatives of treatment might consider knee replacement surgery. It involves cutting the damaged ends of the shin bone and thigh bone and capping both with prostheses,which is same as capping teeth. The pieces of this artificial caps are made up of metal, or durable plastic is known as polyethylene. This new surface moves smoothly with one another and creates a better functional knee. It is the best option to offer patients pain relief and improvement in knee joint functioning.
There is also a partial knee replacement which involves the replacement of only one of the knees three bones. It treats the arthritically damaged compartment of the knee joint and side by side preserving healthy areas. In comparison to total knee replacement, partial knee replacement is less invasive, less painful, and need less recovery time too.
Best knee replacement surgeon
Deciding to undergo a knee
replacement is a significant move towards an active lifestyle for patients
suffering from knee arthritis. Below we have listed some of the best knee replacement surgeons in Gurgaon for you;
- Dr. Ashok Rajgopal – Orthopaedic and Joint Replacement Surgeon, working at Fortis Memorial Research Institute, Gurgaon. He has coveted experience of over 32 years.
- Dr. I.P.S.Oberoi – Orthopaedic and Joint Replacement Surgeon, working at Artemis hospital, Gurgaon. He has coveted experience of over 25 years.
- Dr. Brig BK Singh – Orthopaedic Surgeon, working at Artemis Hospital Gurgaon. He has coveted experience of over 35 years.
- Dr. Rajeev Verma – Orthopaedic and Joint Replacement Surgeon, working at Manipal Hospitals Dwarka. He has coveted experience of over 15 years.
- Dr. Subhash Jangid – Orthopaedic and Joint Replacement Surgeon, working at Fortis Memorial Research Institute, Gurgaon. He has coveted experience of over 16 years.
Finding the right surgeon with excellent experience in successful knee replacement surgeon in India is also essential too. Best surgeon will only ensure you a successful surgery as well as recovery.