1,464 total views, 3 views today
To understand what prostate cancer means. It’s the type of cancer that affects the prostate of the human body. At times, cancer tends to spread to other parts of the body and primarily to the bones, which are known as metastasis. And when this occurs, there is no cure for it but only medication and treatment to increase the life expectancy.
But in terms of prostate cancer, then you can find yourself in great danger as cancer can metastasize and spread to your bones. But when this happens, doctors still prefer to call it prostate cancer rather than bone cancer. And the overall treatment is only to relieve pain and agony and not eliminate the threat as there is no cure found for the metastases of cancer.
The symptoms of metastasized prostate cancer give us a clear indication about the type of prostate cancer treatment is required and the extent of damage caused by the cancer itself.
- Slow urine stream and difficulty in urination.
- Frequent urination at night.
- Blood in urine or semen.
- Erectile dysfunction.
- Numb feelings near the legs and feet.
- Loss of control over bladder and bowel movement.
But for those that might have cancer metastasized to their bones, then the symptoms are as follows.
- Pain in the bones.
- Urination problems.
- Weak bones that fracture easily.
- Pain or stiffness in the back and neck.
- Numbness in the spinal cord.
The prostate cancer treatment after it has metastasized is only for relieving the pain and not curing the condition. It is ensuring that there are no further complications in the treatment, and based on the individual; the treatment plan would be devised.
Hence, the various treatment options are as follows.
- Bisphosphonates – medication which is taken on a constant term to help in the following
- Helps in reducing bone loss.
- Strengthens bones and helps in the overall improvement of the calcium content of the bones.
- Slows down the cancer reproduction on the bones.
- Lowers the risk of fractures in the bones.
- Denosumab – same as the one given above; the dug provides positive results in terms of the following.
- Helps in the strengthening of bones.
- Pain in bones is relieved.
- Overall reduction of calcium content in bones.
- Lowers the risks of fractures.
- Slows down the cancer growth in the bones.
- Radiation therapy – it’s a treatment option that aims in emitting radiations to a person to eliminate cancer cells. Also, it helps in
- Reduction of pain.
- Shrink tumors to relieve further pain.
- Also, try and eliminate the symptom of pain as much as possible.
Well, there is no cure for metastasized prostate cancer. The only treatment found is for reducing the pain and improving the life expectancy of the persons by many years. But the average life expectancy is about five years from the diagnosis and could depend on age, sex, cancer stage, and much more. Constant development and innovation made in the field of cancer research are bringing promising results that could lead to a cure for prostate cancer.